THEATRE FOR THE PEOPLE is a space in Malasaña, at the heart of downtown Madrid, dedicated to making theatre. There is a theatre school and a kitchen for theatrical productions. Adán Black is the artistic director. Our mission is to offer experiences that are humanizing and life affirming, for students and audiences alike. By way of a theatre that is pure, immediate, earthshattering, risk-taking and provocative. Our passion is the telling of stories, refresh the classics and be a reference point for the best of the anglosaxon theatre. We want to trap actors and audience in an exchange of ideas that provoke questions and inspire answers, that make us think, that make us feel, that make us feel alive.
New York & London
Training NYC 1990-2000
- Harold Guskin. 10 years of private acting training with the author of the book: How to Stop Acting.
- Gene Frankel. 6 years of continuous acting training.
- Elaine Strich. Advanced scene study with Elaine Strich at The Stella Adler Conservatory of Acting.
Theatre experience 1994-2000
Actor, director, playwright and founder of own theatre company in NYC:
- Hedge – Rawspace, NYC.
- Cuatro Caminos – Rawspace, NYC; and The Gene Frankel Theatre, NYC.
- 45 minutes… in a Public Bathroom- American Theatre of Actors, NYC.
Training LONDON 2007
Invited by Declan Donnellan and Nick Ormerod, to participate of "Cheek by Jowl´s first Young Director & Designers Summer School".
Training in LA 2010
Invited by Tim Robbins and his theatre company The Actors Gang, to participate in the early rehearsal stages of “Break the Whip”.
Spain - Madrid
Director and Acting Coach experience from 2001 to the present
Founder of Theatre for the People, artistic director, theatre director and acting coach. Created his own style of acting based on Harold Guskin´s teaching, which he has been refining at his school for the last 13 years, working with professionals, none professionals, experienced and inexperienced actors from all walks of life, cultures and professions. As a theatre director he has directed more than 90 shows.
- The Last Days of Judas Iscariot – Stephen Adly Guirgis- Teatro Español, Naves del Matadero.
- Fool for Love- Sam Shepard- Teatro Lara.
- 1984 & The Arrest of Ai WeiWei. George Orwell and Robert Brenton. Theatre for the People.
- The Vortex and The Norman Conquests. Noël Coward and Alan Ayckbourn. Theatre for the People.
- King Lear. William Shakespeare. Theatre for the People.
- Othello. William Shakespeare. Theatre for the People.
- Romeo and Juliet. William Shakespeare. Theatre for the People.
- A Christmas Carol. Charles Dickens. Theatre for the People.
- The Pillowman. Martin McDonagh. Theatre for the People.
- Chaika. Antón Chéjov. Theatre for the People.
- Golden Boy. Clifford Odets. Theatre for the People.
- Edmond. David Mamet. Theatre for the People.